Welcome to Dexter McCarty Middle School
Home of the Hornets
Principal: John George
Assistant Principal: Amy Nimz
We, the staff of Dexter McCarty Middle School, consider it our mission to ensure that our school becomes an institution that is known for academic excellence and ethical conduct. That it is a community where personal responsibility, accountability and good judgment are taught, modeled and expected of all. That we are a school where safety and respect are the norm, and expectations for success are paramount.
Gresham-Barlow Middle School Beliefs:
We are committed to high quality; developmentally appropriate middle-level education characterized by:
- Quality work and relevant learning through challenging integrated curriculum, instruction and assessment.
- Relationships that promote trust and safety (physical, emotional, and social) needed for learning and well being.
- Opportunities for all to succeed through core, exploratory and co-curricular activities.
- Respectful partnerships through "heroic" customer service and communication.
- Development of personal responsibility and accountability through opportunities for significant choice and decisions related
- High expectations for all who are involved in middle level education.
We teach to cause a positive result!
School Improvement Goals
- To improve academic proficiency and growth in reading, writing, math, and science
- To increase student accountability with regard to their learning
- To have students demonstrate respect
- To have students be goal-minded
- To have students aim for academic excellence
McCarty Middle School is special because it promotes and maintains a student-centered environment. It has grade level teams through which students are well known to a small group of teachers. We provide opportunities for intervention and enrichment in both reading and math with advanced subject matter in Math, Language Arts, and Social Studies to better meet the academic needs of all students.
School Report Card
The Oregon Department of Education annually produces school report cards. To view Dexter McCarty Middle School’s Report Card, along with a message from Superintendent Schlachter, click here.
Colors: Green and Gold
WHO WAS DEXTER MCCARTY? (Click to view this document from our 1992 archives!)